Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Adventures in Bathing Suit Buying

A friend of mine sent me her humorous tale of bathing suit shopping with a three-year-old. It's too funny not to share, so with her permission, here you go.

As if buying a bathing suit at my size isn't humiliating enough, my lovely daughter has to make the shopping experience even worse! Seriously, never take your kids bathing suit shopping with you!

Last weekend, I decided that I needed a new bathing suit. We have several upcoming pool parties and a weekend beach trip, so I figured I'd go and look around. So off we went to the mall, and my daughter insisted on coming with me.

OK, fine. Not in the plan, but whatever.

We go to Macy's and as I pass the really cute, tiny, two-piece things, my daughter announces for the whole store to hear, "We have to look for a BIG bathing suit for you, right, Mama?" I think she meant adult-sized, as opposed to kid-sized, but it sounded so bad!

As I'm going through racks of depressing, modestly cut one-piece numbers that scream "middle-aged and cellulite," she adds, "Yeah, you need to find another bathing suit because yours is TOO SMALL, right?" This comment is bad enough if it were true, but it's NOT true! I'm still the same size, but the suit is just getting old and faded! Whatever, let it go, let it go...

As I'm trying the suits on, she starts cracking up and yells, "I can see your boobies and belly button!" I heard some stifled laughter from several rooms!

Then she asks, "How come you're taking off ALL your clothes?" Again, not true -just the bra, I always keep my panties on when trying on swim suits! Anyway, I couldn't find anything that looked decent so I think I'll do what I should've done in the first place and order something online.

I think this is the beginning of many situations like this one...

Yeah, shopping ain't as fun as it used to be!

No comments: