Monday, November 3, 2008

Election '08

I was fascinated to see an advertisement yesterday on TV2 (one of the larger TV networks here) for 24-hour Election '08 coverage. This is the American election we're talking about. The Norwegian elections are next year.

It made me really stop to think how powerful the president of the United States is. His (one day her) election is covered the world over, not in passing, but in 24-hour special coverage.

A little ironic. Most Norwegians can tell you who the president of the U.S.A. is and many will watch this coverage of the next president. Most Americans, however, don't know the difference between Norway and the Netherlands. No! They're not the same place! And yes, Seven has been asked if they have wooden shoes where he's from after he has said he is Norwegian.

Many Americans can't even name one other world leader. I can, but I cheat, because I live in a foreign country. I know the Norwegian prime minister is Jonas Stoltenborg. (Ha! Just kidding! Trying to give the Norwegians in the crowd a little heart attack.)

To be fair, Americans live in a country of 300 million people. There is a lot going on there. Like everything American, the election is BIG. Big enough to travel oceans and make it top news in other places.

In honor of Election '08, the cutest election conversation ever.

A friend of mine told me her son's class is studying a little bit about the elections and is holding a secret ballot. My friend's son said that he has decided to vote for Barack Obama. His four-year-old sister chimed in, "Yeah, I'm going to vote for A Rock Omama, too!"

I'm sure one could collect all the cute ways kids say the candidate's name.

*For those of you who don't know and are curious, the prime minister's name is really Jens Stoltenberg (2005 - ). You never know. That piece of knowledge may be the answer that will win you a game of Trival Pursuit one day. Hang on to it.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Girl I know exactly what you mean. I have lived in enough countries to know that everyone else knows whats going on in the usa except most americans, lol!
-h

~drewandmattysmom~ said...

My five year old voted in a secret election at his school. He voted for "Farack Obama", also known "Mr. Bama". LOL

Miki said...

In the re-reading, I thought I sounded a little preachy and holier-than-thou, so I shortened it a bit. :)

It is kind of crazy how much American news is on in other countries, too. At least, for me, it's easy to keep up with home. From anywhere else, I guess people find their news online.

I guess we'll know tomorrow how Mr. Bama fared in real life!