Wednesday, May 20, 2009

More excuses

I had been wondering what the problem was. I just haven't been as motivated to blog as I had been at the start of last year.

There are the usual excuses, loads of laundry, nice weather, house to clean, must-be-out-in-the-nice-weather, attempting a vegetable garden, holidays. Oddly enough, I don't think those aren't really the problem.

When I started this blog, it was my attempt to keep in touch with the world. I figured this was a great way to record the funny stories and lives of my kids without forcing them down everyone else's throat. I could write away about my children, my life, and people could just come in at will and check in when they wished. After awhile, though, with few comments, I felt a little like I was talking to myself.

Although those of you that do comment, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmwahhhhh! I love you! I love you! Blowing kisses your way and waving. . .

. . .from the stage, while clutching a golden statue and wearing a fur stole and ruby-red evening gown.

Oh, wait! My fantasies are inter-mingling there. Sorry about that.

Motivation has been lacking, why?

The problem is, I think, Facebook. I have become one of the millions of my generation that is addicted to Facebook. It's taken over blogging. It is the only explanation.

I give myself an allotted amount of time to hang out on the computer (a limit I almost always exceed, like I am doing today) to do "me" stuff. That includes the blog, returning emails, chats, whatever. The rest of the day, I do actually try to do stuff around the house, take care of my own children (Huh? Is that them in the street playing with knives?!), generally, make myself useful and have a life.

Facebook has been eating into the computer time. This morning, I chatted with someone I haven't seen in over a decade, and we chatted about other people I hadn't seen in over a decade. It was a lot of fun, but now I have passed my alloted time limit. I am sitting here on the blog, anyway. Bad, bad girl!

Of course, I miss the blog when I am gone too long. This is my space, after all -- the one place I come to talk about me, me, me, and my kids, my kids, and my kids, and if you're here you have to listen. (Hmmmm. Is that why there are so few people here?!) I also miss the people, like Jody, Heather, and andrewsmom, who are kind enough to check in here, but that I don't "see" anywhere else.

Weird, how that is. Makes one wonder about the changing nature of human interaction in the digital world. I think I will segue into a new post with that thought.

Let's see how long it takes me to do it this time. A day? A week? Two? Two years?

Ah, the excitement and thrill of coming to churakagi.blogspot.com is just too much sometimes, isn't it?

This post was really an excuse to let you know that I am here. I am alive. I have not been run over by a truck. I will be back.

5 comments:

~drewandmattysmom~ said...

Ahhh! You mentioned me! How cool! LOL
If it makes you feel any better, I check your blog regularly and I am always disappointed when there isn't anything new. I love the stories about your kids and I love your style of writing :) So keep it up please.
And I too am a Facebook addict....there should be a support group.....

Neia, missing Norway said...

Oh no! Now I feel so bad for not commenting. I check this blog regularly, but I commented only once; I feel it'd be awkward to write comments since (i) I don't know you and it seems like a personal blog (ii) I'm not even a mum and cannot really connect to that main theme. I found the blog looking for photos from Norway (damn nostalgia).
Nevertheless, I like your blog very much. Your kids are funny, but most of all your style of writing is very engaging.
Don't let evil Facebook take you away!!!

Heather said...

I feel the same way about facebook but you can tell stories on facebook.i only post my fav pixs not all the same ones i do on blog. and a lot of time si will say, check out my blog for pixs or video, etc etc. the blog is the longer version, cuter version, more personal version of me.
but it is surely taking a lot of my time, lol!
-h

Kim said...

I, too, am a crackbook...er..um...facebook fanatic! Hope to see you there!

:-)Kim

Jody said...

Thanks for mentioning me, too! And you know what? My sister in Maryland reads it too! She often comments about things you have said. You have a bigger following than you know!
I feel the same way about my blog. It is private, and apparently signing in is too much work. So when I post, I have to email everyone and beg them to visit it, which seems sort of dumb. And then only half of them do. But I do like doing it, and I don't document Elliana's life in any other major way, so I guess I shall keep doing it. I am staying away from FACEBOOK for the very reasons you mention! I do occassionally sign in under my little sisters acct., but am very limited when I am pretending to be her, LOL.