Monday, September 15, 2008

More on Body Functions

One of my kids will be talking and start shifting from foot to foot. They keep talking or watching tv or even drawing. Hips start a little wiggle and feet shift from one to the other and back again.

"Do you have to pee," I ask.

"No."

"You look like you have to pee," I say.

"No, I don't have to pee," comes the irritated response.

We both move on with other things. Usually, I'll be engrossed in some task.

Suddenly, panic.

"Mommy, I have to pee pee! I have to pee pee! Hurry, before it comes in my underwear!" That's Laney.

"Mommy, I have to pee, but you have to carry me up the stairs because it's coming too fast! Hurry!" That's Nicky. Who is five. Who ends up carrying himself up the stairs anyway.

One wonders why these children just won't heed their bodily needs BEFORE it becomes an emergency. Why?!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I feel you. I will be dead tired on the couch and suddenly the words, " i have to pee" make me jump up and run to help her on the potty, my heart racing and all. better than those loud alarm clocks right? Got to love them!
-h