Monday, September 1, 2008

Nicky's House of Style

He's not particular about which shirt or pants he has to wear, but my five-year-old has several hard and fast fashion rules.

1. DO wear rainboots. . .ALL THE TIME. No matter what the season or weather, rainboots complete any look.

2. DON'T wear shorts for any reason. No matter what the season or weather, shorts are always OUT. Bare legs in the breeze, ugh!

3. If your mother forces you to wear shorts saying something akin to, "It's HOT outside. We get one day of summer around here, so you have to wear shorts when it's warm," then pull your socks up to your knees. Shorts with knee high socks are always cool and prevent you from subjecting others to the sight of your bare legs.

4. Tuck your pants legs into your socks. Pants legs flapping about is not only annoying, it's unstylish.

5. Gloves are IN in the summertime, especially dirty gardening gloves. Wear them whenever possible.

Of course, all of Nicky's fashion rules make sense in context.

1. Rain boots -- why mess with Velcro and other nonsense when you've got slip-on comfort right there?

2. Shorts just feel weird. It's like being half dressed. We live in the Arctic after all. He's just not used to shorts and sandals. In his defense, he wore shorts every day in Hawaii, where the heat was just too much for him.

3. One feels less naked when socks cover the bare legs.

4. Okay, this is just quirky -- adorably, lovably quirky, but quirky nonetheless. I think he likes to show off the fancy socks. Those cool Spiderman pictures get lost under the pants. What a waste that would be.

5. Dunno about this one either. He just likes gloves. They keep your hands from getting dirty (very important to my little man), and they make you look more authentic when you're playing the goalie in soccer.


Kids make me laugh.

Sometimes, I find myself arguing, then wonder why. Why is this so important? Live and let live, right? My kid will argue and whine if he has to put on a t-shirt in warm weather, but he wants to wear his Buzz Lightyear costume and rain boots into town. Well, whatever.

Hey, I used to think that styling my hair into a mile-high pouf on the top of my head made me look good. I used to spend an inordinate amount of time in the morning spraying that pouf. I imagine I single-handedly created one small hole in the ozone layer with as much hairspray as I used to use.

People who live in glass houses. . .and all that.

2 comments:

Heather said...

He is just expressing his own style, lol!
-h

Kim said...

What more can I say - BRILLIANT!! Bailey would dress as "eclectically" as Nicky every day, if given the option - I draw the line at family photos and public events!