Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Boys will be boys

When you are the parent of a son,

one who is obsessed with Spiderman and Star Wars,

one who shuns dolls and soft toys in the daytime,

one who will one day grow to be a man. . .

there is something incredibly sweet about coming in to do the last tuck-in for the night and finding him curled up with a stuffed elephant.

I bought that elephant when I was about eight months pregnant. The reality of the fact that I was about to be mother of a little boy was sinking in. I didn't have a "lovey" type item for the baby, and this one was so soft. . .and blue. It's one of those that when you pull the tail in the back, classical music plays. I'm not sure why I can remember buying this elephant so clearly (Sears in the Santa Maria mall, must have been June). In many ways, I guess it was the first gift I bought for him. Clothes, crib, diapers, blankets -- those are things baby needs. A stuffed blue elephant -- I bought that just because I wanted the little boy I was carrying to have it.

I remember many a sleepless night with Nicky, laying in bed with him, pulling the little tail, desperately hoping the music would soothe him to sleep. It worked. . .once, maybe twice. Most times it didn't, because the music only lasts 10 seconds. Pulling the tail a hundred times a night was soothing for no one.

Not so long ago, he saw me packing it away. I have a small plastic box for both children with a few firsts -- the outfit they wore home from the hospital and a few other small soft things. When I was packing the elephant into the box, I told him how we used to lay together and listen to the music. (I left out the part about Mommy being beside herself, stressed and near tears, with a baby that wouldn't sleep through the night).

He didn't want me to pack it up, and that night I found him curled up with it as he slept.

3 comments:

Jody said...

Awww, Mickey - both the picture and the description are SO sweet!
Especially because he is a little boy.
Elliana is more of a girl - she sleeps with 5 stuffed animals - and all are white. Very funny that all are white, but they are. I love to see her snuggling with them, though, and the two kitties (her longest favorites) are now flat on the one side - a sign of true love.

Heather said...

Thats precious! My son has an elephant that was actually bought for his older sister but she didnt care two its about it, so i almost cry every time i see him holding it when its bed time. Being a mom is so emotional, lol! We grew into big wussies!
-h

Miki said...

Flat, bandaged stuffed animals are the ones that are loved most.

I used to sleep with ten stuffed animals lined up along the wall. They kept the bad things from coming up between the wall and bed. :P

Yeah, there is something about boys and stuffed animals. I guess it's so cute now, because there is nothing cute about a 40-year-old man curled up with a blue elephant. :D