Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Boy or Girl?

Some of you have seen this before, but since it goes along with the theme, I thought I'd post it here.
There was a point in time, in college, of course, when I seriously thought all baby clothes, 0 - 2 years, should be unisex. That way, during those critical formative years, people wouldn't readily be able to tell the sex of a child and thereby impose their gender biases on them. All babies would -- and should! -- be treated equally. Really, the baby doesn't care what it's wearing. Why DO people force their little girls to wear pink dresses? Three-month-old baby boys are NOT athletic superstars, so stop with the 'sportswear' already!

Of course, I didn't have a baby then. I didn't know what the hell I was talking about.

When I got pregnant the first time and found out it was a boy, a buying frenzy of all things blue and boyish ensued. I couldn't help it. Unisex was so not-fun! I got pregnant a second time, found out it was a girl, and for some reason, my daughter didn't own anything that wasn't pink or embroidered with flowers and butterflies.

But in the name of gender equality, I took pictures of my two babies in a unisex outfit at roughly the same age. It thought it was kind of funny. Can you tell which is the girl and which is the boy? No? And for some reason I want you to be able to! So much for my militant feminist sensibilities. (Most of you already know, of course.)

2 comments:

Heather said...

Guessing top and bottom boy, middle two girl. I tried the unisex thing too for the 1st yr of my daughters life but now she loves pink. I cant stop her, lol!
-h

Miki said...

You're right. Anything that gave it away? Besides, the fact I've posted a zillion pics of the kids and you can kind of see the resemblances? :)