Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mommy, are you a dwarf?

We caught the end of a documentary about a woman with restricted growth disorder, i.e.- dwarfism, coming to terms with her condition and meeting others like herself for the first time.

I explained to Nicky that she had a condition that did not allow her to grow to a normal adult height and that she was very small, not much taller than he was.

He asked me, in all earnestness, "Mommy, are you a dwarf?"

Hmpf.

What's he trying to say? I am 5'2", first thing in the morning at my full height, thank you very much. Dwarf, indeed.

I didn't take it personally, as later, he asked, "Mommy, am I a dwarf?"

Personally, I prefer the term vertically challenged.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Girl, im right there with you. I am short and stout not fat, lol!

-h

Miki said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one being challenged in the vertical department. :)

Jody said...

Um, yeah. I am also "almost" 5 ft 2 - NOT 5 ft 1, like the doctor thinks. Their height thingy is off, seriously. So is their scale - by about 40#'s!!!!
:)

Miki said...

I think it is a worldwide conspiracy! Scales are set ten, twenty, forty pounds in the wrong direction! What is the ultimate goal of this diabolical scheme? I'm still trying to figure that out. I just wish they'd put the scales back!! :)