Saturday, June 28, 2008

Changing of the times

There was a time, oh, about five years ago, when words like fart or snot made me cringe. I've never been one for toilet humor. It's always grossed me out more than made me laugh. I never developed an appreciation for snot/booger humor either.

However, after the last five years of dealing with all sorts of unpleasant bodily secretions and functions, i.e.-snot, farts, poop in technicolor --who signed me up for this job, anyway? -- I suppose it's a little hard to be uppity about anything of that sort anymore.

Laney and snot
If you have a tissue handy and ask her to blow, she might humor you by breathing heavy into the tissue. Her preferred method of nose-blowing is to wait until her parents are occupied doing something else and blow really hard so that the contents of her nose flow down her face in two little disgusting snot rivers.

I don't know when she started this. She used to blow her nose like a normal little girl, namely, when we had a tissue handy. Now, she just stops whatever she's doing blows really hard and waits for the tissue to come to her.

I'm debating on whether or not I should continue to try and break this little habit. I'm thinking it might work out in our favor down the line. This lovely behavior will ensure that we won't have to chase the boys away when she's 15.

They'll be having an enlightening conversation about how their parents just don't 'get' them, about the importance of love, about how to save the world. He'll be thinking about how pretty she is and if he should try and kiss her. HONK! He, shocked and horrified, runs for the door as she sits in confused silence, little snot bubbles under her nose.

Five years ago, that little story would have made my stomach turn. Now it just makes me laugh. My, my, how times have changed. Kids have made me a gross person. Lovely. Maybe I can start lifting my ass and let a big one rip during the middle of a conversation and not blink an eye. Why not? My kids do.

1 comment:

Heather said...

My fav is when moms talk about poop for hours. I could never imagine that when I was younger that I would have that conversation ever in my life, lol!
-h