Sunday, June 8, 2008

Like father, like son

One of my favorite stories about Seven is from when he's five or six years old. One night, his mother read him the story of The Ugly Duckling. When she came to the part about the other ducklings making fun of the young swan, little Seven began to cry. His innocent heart just couldn't understand how anyone could be so mean. How could they tease the swan and call him ugly? Seven's little heart hurt because the 'ugly' duckling's heart hurt.

I love that story for many reasons. Mostly because I can still see the sensitive little boy in the grown-up Seven. The small boy who cared so much for the feelings of the ugly duckling grew into a kind-hearted man who is caring and considerate of the feelings of people around him.

Seven has a son.

A few nights ago, Nicky, Laney and I sat down to watch Piglet's BIG Movie. Nicky was very drawn into the movie. At one point, I asked him how he was doing. He turned to me and I could see that something was wrong immediately. His whole face began to crumple and his eyes filled with tears.

"Mommy, why did Piglet lose his scrapbook," he wailed, tears streaming down his cheeks.

Well, I hate to give away the exciting climax of the movie to those of you who haven't seen it. . .but at one point Piglet's treasured scrapbook is lost. Piglet kept a book filled with carefully-drawn pictures of happy memories and good times he'd had with his friends. It was very obviously something precious to Piglet. Nicky was simply heart-broken that something so special had been lost. His mind reeled at the unfairness of it all. At the end of the movie, Piglet's friends made it up to him, drew him new pictures and everything was fine again. For Nicky, it was not quite so simple. He understood the value of the original book and wasn't as easily satisfied as Piglet. He wanted Piglet to get his precious original back! In the end, though, Nicky, too, came to terms with the loss.

I can only hope the little boy who cared so much for Piglet and his scrapbook will grow into a man who cares deeply for the people around him. On those days I worry most about my son's sensitive heart and wonder how much I should protect him from a world that sometimes plows right over people, I remember that Seven was just like him as a little boy. Seven turned out just fine. My son could do much worse than to grow up to be like his father. Actually, he'll be all the better for it.

1 comment:

Tilly Cat & Pip-Squeak said...

That is a very sweet post, and Nicky is a very sweet child.