Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day (American)

When I was seven or so, I got into a fight with one of my friends about whose dad was smartest. (Do you remember this, Jackie?) She kept insisting that her father was smarter than mine. She refused to see my side. Clearly, my father was the smartest of the two, because he knew EVERYTHING! Her stubborness and failure to see reason infuriated me. I began to lie about my father to make my point. Well, it wasn't really lying. My father never SAID he had a higher IQ than her father, but I knew it must be so. I just had to make her understand. She never did. Fool!

Growing up, my dad really did have an answer for everything. Of course, I know now, he was making half that stuff up. No one knows everything, even my dad. What a safe world it was to live in, though, the one where Dad had all of the answers.

So Happy Father's Day to the all the men who know everything -- at least in the eyes of the children who love them.
Here's my dad carrying Nicky all over Tokyo a few years ago. Nicky is, of course, fascinated by the train. Dad must have carried Nicky for five hours. Strollers in Japanese train stations are a joke. My dad's arms are still sore from that trip!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Great pix and story and happy fathers day !
-h

Shima said...

Haha. I don't remember this one but I believe it. I'm sure my Dad would be amused as well. Do you remember that they both had those hideous yellow station wagons w/ the wood stripe? I can't believe TWO of those existed. You would think that the designer would have been so horrifed after the first one came out...

P.S. My dad can beat up your dad (he has new hips).