Monday, April 14, 2008

No such thing as background noise anymore

A few months ago, I was driving home, hands correctly positioned at two and ten o'clock, eyes scanning the road for potential hazards and my two children sitting quietly in the back. One of those NOW compilation Cd's was playing in the background -- I think it was NOW 245 or something like that -- when a Missy Elliot song came on. I didn't pay much attention to it. Normally, I skip over it because I don't like that song too much. This day, I was just cruising casually along, not paying attention to the Cd, when it suddenly strikes me that she's singing/rapping the following:

"Call me before you come ovah, so I can shave my cha cha. Something. Something. Something. Go downtown and eat it like a vulchah (vulture)."

I almost swerved the car off the road when I realized what she was saying and tried desperately to flip past that damn song.

I had heard that song a million times pre-kids, when it was overplayed on the radio, which is probably why I didn't pay attention to it when it came on. I don't remember the name, but the uncensored version must be really dirty because for most of what I'm guessing is the censored version we were hearing, she's rapping something like, " Yurf-wan-if-in-wen-yet." Anyone know what that means?

The last thing I needed was for my four-year-old, who picks up on EVERYTHING, to ask me "Mommy, what's shave my cha-cha mean?" Or worse, listening with horror as my two-year-old sings at a family gathering later, "eat a vulcha," while everyone smiles on and asks me, "How cute. So what's she singing?"

Funny how things that were once background noise become potential accident-causing hazards once you have kids.

No comments: