Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why I dress the kids

It started simply enough as these things do.

Seven was a stay-at-home dad until Nicky was two, while I worked full-time. Luckily for me, I worked close to home and could come home for lunch and to nurse when he needed it -- Nicky, not Seven. One afternoon, when Nicky was two months old or so, I came home to find my husband in sweats and my son still in pajamas -- mismatched pajamas, at that. He had on the light-blue top from one set with the red and white striped pants of another. Didn't Seven have time to get the two of them dressed? Really, what did he DO all day long?

"Is that what he's wearing," I asked casually.


"What? He's comfortable," Seven said, irritated. You have to know my husband to know that he is a very patient man and not easily irritated.

I couldn't argue with comfortable, so what I said was, "Well, couldn't you put the matching pants on to that outfit?"

While what I thought was, "This is our firstborn son. He has a CLOSET FULL of adorable clothes that he's outgrowing by the second. What is so hard about putting a cute outfit on him and taking lots of pictures of him in all his cuteness? Why is he always in pajamas or the same two 'comfortable' onsies?"

Meanwhile, my husband said nothing and thought, "Who is this woman glaring at me? Where is my wife? We're not going anywhere. Who cares what he's wearing?"

The years passed. When Seven dressed the kids, it was for comfort. When I dressed the kids, I matched their tops to their bottoms. Sometimes, if Seven dressed them in something weird, I changed them. We didn't say anything about the kids clothes.

One Saturday morning, Seven very sweetly got up with the kids, got them dressed, and went down to breakfast, while I dozed. When I came down, Laney was in this.



The guys reading are probably thinking, "So? She's wearing pink." You girls understand me, though, right? Is that plaid with stripes?

So it just became one of those unwritten house rules. I get the kids dressed every morning, even weekends and holidays when Seven is home. Seven doesn't bother, because he says, "You're just going to change them anyway."

I think this is another example of how men and women are just wired differently. I know which top goes to which bottom of all the kids' clothes. My husband simply doesn't care. Gasp! DOESN'T CARE!

Of course, it could be a genetic thing. This was my mother-in-law's pick for an outfit.


While he looks so cute I could eat him up, what on Earth does he have on?

My kids are roughly the same age in those last two pictures. Is it just me or do they look like they could be twins?

2 comments:

Jonathan & Jennifer said...

I can totally relate! Some of the outfits J puts together for Lauren are ridiculous. Not to mention half the time he doesn't bother with pants for her. I mean, really. I've also changed her clothes right after he's dressed her. And then there are the times when we're running late for church and I tell him specifically what to put on her and she still comes out in something weird. It must be a guy thing.

Miki said...

:) Pants, schmants. They're totally overrated. I'm convinced this is human nature. It's the same reason it's hard for women to pass up the baby department and oooh and ahhh over all the cute things, even when they don't have kids that can wear them! I've never seen a man browse the baby department, even if they have a baby that small. (If they're in there, they are usually tagging along after their wife and bored out of their minds). Starts young. Nicky is 2 years older than Laney and NEVER shows interest in what he's wearing. The only thing he likes is to pull up his superhero socks all the way to his knees so we can see the picture. . .even if he's in shorts! Laney, on the other hand, is already pretty demanding about what she wants to wear. She goes into the closet and will pick her shirts and rummage through her underwear drawer and pick exactly which one she is to wear. Already, she loves pretty shoes and everything pink.