Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Am I a bad person?

Because I'm really, really, really, really, really looking forward to the day when the only butt I have to wipe is my own.

Don't get me wrong, I know I am going to miss these days. I try not to take them for granted.

I know I will miss how Laney's little body is the perfect size to curl up into mine. We have a ritual. In the morning, the first thing she does when she wakes up is come into my room. Pit-pat-pit-pat, I can hear her walking across the hardwood floor. Then she'll climb into my bed and snuggle into me. We lay there for as long as I can get away with it.

I know I will miss how, for now, I'm their best friend. I can make them laugh. I make the hurts go away. I have all the answers.

I know I will miss how Nicky will just stop what he's doing and say, "Mommy, look!" When I do, he makes a funny face so that I'll laugh. He also has a goofy walk he does.

I know I'll miss these days that Nicky still wants to hold my hand. Laney already has to do everything on her own and only lets me hold her hand every now and then. Nicky still grabs my hand every chance he gets. That won't last much longer.

I know I will miss these days.

But seriously, why is it that my kids think the best time to move their bowels is when I'm in the middle of doing something else, say, like making dinner?

No comments: