Monday, March 17, 2008

Learning to ski

It's Easter in Norway. Easter is actually a five-day long holiday here from Thursday this week until next Monday. Seven took the first three days off of this week too, so he has a nice long vacation.

Easter = skiing, in Norway anyway. It's taken me three years, but I have come to terms with the fact that our outdoor Easter Egg hunts happen in the snow, especially if Easter is early like this year. Anyway, Easter is a big family holiday here, and people take the kids out for cross-country ski trips. We hope to get out on a few, and I want to make good on one of my resolutions.
Seven and I went out skiing today. I wanted to practice without the kids. You have no idea the humiliation of being passed up by three-year-olds on skis while you flounder around on the ground, hair and face covered in snow from where you fell.

Anyway, it was so much fun. We have a trail just two minutes from the house. We were out for two hours and I fell minimally. I did manage to make it up a few hills on my own and was very proud. We tried to get the view in the background, but it is so overcast. We'll try again next time, but here you can get a little glimpse of where we live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're looking pretty miserable in your photo here! Smile! :)

I never liked cross-country skiing. It always seemed like too much work. I grew up in flat Michigan and envied all those people in Colorado, who just have to point their skis downhill, and all the work is taken care of!

--Brian

Miki said...

You should re-try it, though. It is really nice, especially if you like hiking. It's how you get out in nature when there's so much snow on the ground. There were a couple of baby hills and I fell down each one of them. I wiped the snow out of my hair for the photo! :) Downhill is nice, too, since you get to sit in a chair to the top. I had to climb up with skis and that was work!