Monday, March 31, 2008

Profile Update

When I first did my profile, I didn’t put too much info into it. First, I was exhausted after spending ages trying to give this darn blog a name. Second, I didn’t want to fall prey to the phenomenon of sending too much personal info about myself into the Internet void -- kind of funny as I am writing all kinds of personal stuff on this blog. Whatever. Yes. I do see the broken links in that chain of logic.

As the original posts got buried, I realized that my profile didn't really say anything about me, so I updated it. I figured I would find five books, movies, and music that I really liked. It’s hard to find favorites, so I just picked ones that I know I really enjoyed the first time.

Books were easy. That list could go on and on, actually, so I limited myself to a few. Angela’s Ashes is my favorite book ever. I read it in one sitting. I picked it up one evening and literally could not put it down. I read it until the next morning. I laughed. I cried. The book really moved me. I just had to throw in the Nancy Drew series. I read those books as a girl and LOVED them. It was because of Nancy Drew that I learned to love reading. I collected all of her books. We sold the collection in one of our moves when I was a teen, and I will always regret that. I bet I could buy them back on Ebay. I’ll have to check that out. I would have named Laney after her, but Nancy just wasn’t my style of name. Neither was Bess or, egads, George for a girl. I could write a whole post on the books I love -- I think I will, so I’ll stop here for now.

Movies. These were harder. I rarely see new movies. I can, however, name most of Thomas the Tank Engines friends and tell you what color they are, because from the ages of two to three, Nicky loved Thomas and all things trains, so I’ve seen many a Thomas film in recent years. Add the fact that my memory is shot, and I can’t actually remember what movies I watched before that, let alone which ones I actually enjoyed. In any case, I bawled the whole way through Saving Private Ryan, so that one was easy to remember. Funny how a movie that makes you cry can be a favorite, but I really did get lost in those two hours. I thought it was such an amazing and touching story. Amelie is such a fantastic, fun film. It’s a French movie and a little quirky, but I loved it. Finally, I did have to add romantic comedies. I enjoy a good “chick flick” every now and then, although with rare exception, do I ever want to watch one over and over again. I could watch "While You were Sleeping" again and again, though.

Music. This was just sad. I don’t listen to the radio here, and I don’t think I did for a long time before that. I live in a bit of a musical vacuum. I haven’t bought music in a long time either, so I just listen to my old collection of Cd's -- my very dated collection of Cd's, my soon-to-be-played on the Oldies station Cd's. I just listed artists that have albums in which I enjoyed the majority of the songs. Thing is, if you asked me what kind of music I liked, my first response would be R & B and Hip Hop. Yet, I couldn’t really come up with a single Hip Hop artist for my list. I generally only like one or two songs and rarely a whole Cd, maybe I'm not as big a Hip Hop fan as I thought. One of my all-time favorite Cds is Afterglow by Sarah McLachlan. If you haven’t seen the video for World on Fire, you should. It’s so simple and yet so powerful. Don't forget to turn up your sound.

So that’s that. Maybe my taste in music, books, and movies will tell you something about me. Most likely, no one cares.

I updated it anyway! Maybe you'll share some of yours?

No comments: