Sunday, March 16, 2008

Blue? Brown? Other?

Did you know that there are at least three different genes that control eye color? There may be a few more. This is why the Mendel model of genetics (dominant beats recessive) doesn't quite work for eye color the way we were taught in school. In any case, the more pigment you have in your eyes, the darker they are. The less you have, the bluer they are -- unless you have no pigment, then they're pink. Something like 70 percent of Norwegians have blue eyes. Only about 1 in 6 Americans do. (According to my math, that's about 16 percent).

You're probably wondering why I'm such a vast fountain of knowledge when it comes to eye color genetics. I'm just full of surprises, aren't I?

Actually, I was trying to figure out what color my kids' eyes are. You'd think I'd know. It's not for lack of trying, but they've got kaleidescope color eyes that don't really fall into the basic categories of blue, green and brown. So you tell me, what color are their eyes?

Nicky was born with very blue eyes. Then in the past year, they kept getting more and more brown in them, but never changing to brown. They are predominantly blue, but brown around the iris. They are not green, but sometimes they look green. Does this mean they are hazel?

Laney is the opposite. She also started with blue eyes, but early on they started changing to grayish, golden, and now have settled on light brown. Or have they? They still have blue around the rims, especially in sunlight and very often, they look green in photographs. This seems to fit the definition of hazel, too.


And what exactly is hazel? There doesn't seem to be a good definition. I guess hazel is another way of saying 'other.'

Obviously, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. I just pray they don't get my near-blind eyes. I say my son has blue eyes, my daughter has brown. But in a country where the majority of people have very blue eyes, it seems odd to say my son's eyes are blue. They are blueish.

It wasn't always so hard to tell.

Nicky at 4 1/2 months


Laney at just under 2 months

Were they really that small once? (sniff, sniff)

During my online search, I found this eye color calculator. I thought it was fun to see what percentage chance kids (real or imaginary) have of having what color eyes. Try it out.

http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/eyeCalc/eyecalculator.html

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle, I have hazel eyes. It's the color you get somewhere between light brown and dark green, but you get lots of little specs of colors in there. We're special :)

Ciao, Brian

Anonymous said...

Miki

Your dilemma is not one you share alone. My son Tyler's eyes are going through the same color change and never resting with one permanent color like my two girls. Some days Tyler's eyes seem blue, especially if he is wearing clothes with blue as the dominant color. Other days, his eyes seem hazel or green with a brown trying to override all other colors. It is very fascinating to watch and somewhat exciting to see what color eyes Tyler will have when he awakes for the day. However, my most pressing concern on the issue is...what do you put on the identification card: blue, green, hazel or brown? Right now Tyler's passport and ID card say blue. Is this wrong?

Terri

Miki said...

Hey, Terri! I didn't realize you had commented until just now, so sorry about the delay in responding! Glad to see that you check in, too! I know if we had to have identification cards, I'd also be at a loss. Nicky had grown up hearing that he has blue eyes and that is what he says when you ask him, but they aren't really THAT blue anymore, yet they aren't green or brown either. It IS a lot of fun watching the changes though. For Tyler, I think until his eyes pick their color, then blue sounds about right even if they are only blueish at this point. :)
Brian, what color specs do you have? Blue?
Hmmm. Maybe I should start an eye color gallery. I think it is so fascinating.

Shima said...

That genetics model thing we learned in school had me convinced I was adopted. We even used eye color as an example in ours.